Appendix to Part V
TEXTS: From Matthew Christ’s first words to the human race:
- Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. [3:2]2
The Sermon on the Mount [Matt. 5]:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
- Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven.
- Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments,
and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom
of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be
called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That
except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes
and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
- Thy kingdom come. [6:10]
- Deliver us from evil. [6:13]
- Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth …. But lay up for
yourselves treasures in heaven. [6: 19-20]
- Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall
drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. [6:25]
- But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, etc.
- Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and
few there be that find it. [ 7: 14]
- Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead. [8:22].
- (To the apostles): And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of
heaven is at hand. [10:7]
- Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. [10:16]
- But beware of men. [10:17]
- But verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of
Israel, till the Son of Man be come. [10:23]
- Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess
also before my Father which is in heaven. [10:32]
- Think not that I am come to send peace on earth, etc. [10:34]
- He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me,
- (To John the Baptist): The blind receive their sight, and the lame
walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised
up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. [11 :5]
Matt. n:21ff. Miracles
- All things are delivered unto me ofmy Father: and no man knoweth
the Son, but the Father, etc. [11:27]
- Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly
in heart. [u:29]
- Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? [12:48].
- For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men
have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen
them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard
- (To the disciples): Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries
of the kingdom of heaven, etc. [13: 11]
- (Reference to Isaiah): I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter
things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.
[ 1 3:35]
- For the Son of Man shall come in the glory of his Father with his
angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
- The Transfiguration. [Matt. 17]
- Miracles: If ye have faith as a grain of mustard ye shall say unto
this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove;
and nothing shall be impossible unto you. [1,:19]
- Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto
you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my
Father which is in heaven. [18: 10]
- So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from
your hearts forgive not every one his brother his trespasses. [18:35]
- There be eunuchs which have made themselves eunuchs for the
kingdom of heaven’s sake. [19: 12]
- When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saymg,
Who then can be saved? But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them,
With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
- Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration
when the Son of Man shall sit in the throne of his glory,
ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, etc. [19:28]
- And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or
father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake,
shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. [19:29]
- Prophecy concerning the imminent end of the world. [Matt. 24]
- Therefore be ye also for in such an hour as ye think not the
Son of Man cometh. [24:44]
- Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently
give me more than twelve legions of Angels.[26:53]
- Nevertheless I say unto you: Hereafter shall ye see the Son of Man
sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of
- The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye,
and believe the gospel. [ 1: 15]
- They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I
came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. [5:31-32]
- Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for behold, your reward is
great in heaven. [6:23]
- For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured
to you again. [6:38]
- For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall
the Son of Man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory,
and in his Father’s, and of the holy angel. [9:26]
- I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. [ 10: 18]
- Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto
you: but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
- Blessed are the eyes which see the things that ye see, etc. [10:23]
- Woe unto thee, Chorazin, etc. [10:13ff.]
- The Our Father. Give us this day our daily bread. [11: 13]
- Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge:
ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye
- Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose
shall those things be, which thou hast provided? [12:20]
- I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already
kindled? [ 12 :49]
- Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay;
but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one
house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father
shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father, etc.
- If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and
wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life
also, he cannot be my disciple. [14:26]
Appearances after death. [Luke 24]
Hartmann, Wundt, Ritschl / Evolut. optima.
Ritschl. Metaphysics and religion.
Luthardt’s3 opinion, page 1.
Luther4 page 4. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
page 14. Possible metaphysical purpose of the world.
Ritschl is forced to combat people who still think of God as the
absolute and speculate on his necessary properties.
page 42. Interpretation of the Holy Spirit as the motive force of ethical
action. The sense of value attached to the memory is erroneously
equated with a real sensation.
page 4 5. One can act upon others only within the sensory realm. Thus
only subjective images in memory to which our sense of value attributes
activity and reality, can serve as the motivation for ethical action.
Thence follows the proof of the reality of God, since tradition has
inculcated us with its remembered value. ~Carl Jung, Zofingia Lectures, Page 115-118